Circular economy and a sustainable production are increasingly becoming the focus of interest in the plastics industry.
Sustainability refers not only to the processing of sustainable, biocompatible materials, but to the entire production process. It is important, for example, that a stable injection molding process can be guaranteed even under fluctuating environmental conditions, so that scrap can be kept to a minimum.
Recycling of plastics
With the Ingrinder, WITTMANN BATTENFELD has created an innovative solution to promote the recycling economy. This product is an injection molding system with integrated sprue picker, granulator and vacuum conveyor with material switch. The granulator and the sprue picker can be operated via the machine’s UNILOG B8 control system.
The fully integrated One-Stop-Shop Ingrinder WorkCell includes the following features:
- Sprue removal device
- Sprue drop-out chute
- Granulator with low hopper
- Mixer for blending virgin plastic material with regrind
- Material loader with material switch
- HiQ Flow® – application software for the compensation of viscosity fluctuations
WITTMANN BATTENFELD equipment to recycle plastics
- Designed for molds with runners
- Integrated auxiliaries (sprue picker and granulator)
- Smallest footprint (machine incl. granulator)
- Available for a wide range of processes and applications
Processing of bio-based natural materials
WITTMANN BATTENFELD is working with the company Zeroplast on a circular economy project. This project involves the processing of a bio-based natural material in an injection molding process. The bio-based natural material is not only recyclable, bio-compatible, free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and chemical additives, but is also said to fulfill all wishes and requirements of industrial customers. In addition to the criteria already mentioned, these include industrial series production by injection molding, a positive environmental balance, a bio-based barrier layer for cosmetics and foodstuffs, as well as competitiveness in pricing, processes and quality standards. The ingredients of the material "Zeroplast free" do not compete with animal feed or food production.
- Correct residence time
- Observance of the process parameters stipulated by the material supplier (drying time, temperature, metering speed, back pressure, melt temperature, cooling,...)
- Special purging and cleaning procedure
- Compatibility with other types of resin
WITTMANN BATTENFELD equipment for the processing of bioplastics
- Screw, check valve, barrel and nozzle head – surface with minimum adhesiveness
- Check-valve geometry CG01 with flow-optimized design and enlarged flow channel for reduced shear
- Melt temperature sensor in nozzle head – recommended for optimizing the process settings
- Application software
- HiQ Metering – active closing of the non-return valve
- HiQ Flow® – especially for regrind processing for the compensation of viscosity variations in the plastic material